Pages

Sunday 17 July 2011

The Goddess Yemaya


Yemaya is considered the Mother Goddess in African Belief. Mama Watta, as she is also known presided over the Ogun River that she called home. Her breasts are full and large from birthing so many creations. It is said that Yemaya gave birth to all the world's water.

Petition Yemaya if you are a woman. You may pray to her with matters of the home, fertility, family, and love. In her kind state, Yemaya is the giver of life, so if you are seeking to have a child, pray to Yemaya. Yemaya is also a fierce protectress of women so if you or one of your daughters is in danger, ask Yemaya for protection. Yemaya is also the very essence of femininity. Her emotions then are feminine as well. She is very distressed over the situation of her beloved Earth Mother, so pray to her for the Healing of Mother Earth.

When you call to Yemaya for help, always do so with the utmost respect, and only do so if you expect to be helped and are ready to be helped. Because of her fierce love for her daughter's and her connections with the waters, she is very sensitive, and just like any mother is with her daughter, Yemaya is ferocious when it comes to keeping her children safe. And, all well-behaved daughters always remember to thank their Mother's for petitions granted. Daughters of Yemaya, this is very important, always, always remember to Thank Yemaya for what she does for you.

Yemaya has many other names. Known as the Star of The Sea in Brazil, In Macumba, she is known as Ocean Goddess of the Crescent Moon. In Haiti, she is Agwe. New Orleans women worship her as La Balianne. And, in Cuba she has three names, depending on which part of her personality you wish to speak with: Yemaya Ataramagwa, The Wealthy Queen Of The Sea, this is her stern persona. Yemaya Achabba, violent, and, The overpowering, Yemaya Olokun who is said to only be seen in dreams.(1) To me, she is Yemaya, Mother Goddess and Star Of The Sea.

Yemaya's favorite colors are blue, silver, and white, like her beloved waters.

Her favorite stone is Blue Chalcedony, and she loves sea shells. The star is one of her symbols. Yemaya also loves watermelon! She will bless you if you make offerings of copper to her as well. She loves new, shiny pennies. If you make a candle offering to her, place 3 shiny pennies with the candle to give the work extra energy. Yemaya also adores pearls.

Any work done for Yemaya will be extra strong if performed during the full-moon. The full moon of July is her favorite moon!

Ritual to the Goddess Yemaya

Yemaya, Ocean Mother, Goddess of love and discipline,
I honor you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Light candles and incense
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Powerful Yemaya, I have a beautiful shell given to me by my mother.
As a child I held this shell to my ear to hear your whispers.
I have been honoring you long before I knew your name.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Take shell and hold up to ear, listen...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yemaya, abundant and consistent,
You called to me in a song not long ago,
I heard and listened, now I am here in your presence,
I honor you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Move fingers through beach sand
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yemaya...a delight to see, smell and hear,
You have been part of my soul since I was swimming in my mother’s womb,
Yet it is your womb that I wish to return to in the end!
I honor you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Touch ocean water
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I bask in this moment, I take in your presence Yemaya...
I thank you for my life and for aiding me in the life of my children,
I will return to you my essence of this ritual,
I honor you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Add ocean water to bath and keep altar erect as a constant devotion to Yemaya...

2 comments: